Extract date: 17/08/2022
|Name||West Alligator River|
|Location (Datum GDA94)|
|Latitude: -12° 13' S (Decimal degrees -12.2233)|
|Longitude: 132° 16' E (Decimal degrees 132.2812)|
|Locality / Suburb|
|Van Diemen Gulf|
|Local Government Area|
|West Arnhem Shire Council|
|History/Origin|| PP King on 8 May 1818 named "Alligator Rivers" due to the abundance of alligators in the river -
"alligators were as numerous as in other rivers, whence the name of Alligator Rivers were bestowed upon them."
On 10 May, King observed another opening to the west of the previous rivers and as it bore a similar appearance, he extended the name Alligator Rivers.
Arrowsmith's map of April 1st, 1846 in Stokes' journal has "West R" and "Alligator R" shown.
By 1873 when Ringwood drew his map of the OTLine and the Northern Territory, the 3 Alligator Rivers had individual names - West, South and East Alligators.
The Northern Territory salt water crocodiles were mistakenly known as alligators until recent times.