Place Names Register Extract

William Edward Thompson Park

Extract date: 02/02/2023

Name William Edward Thompson Park
Type Designation Urban Park
Place Id 24102
Place Type Park or Cemetery
Status Registered
Date Registered 27 April 2011
Location (Datum GDA94)  
Latitude: -23° 41' S (Decimal degrees -23.69111)
Longitude: 133° 49' E (Decimal degrees 133.82624)
Locality / Suburb  
  Larapinta
Local Government Area  
  Alice Springs Town Council
History/Origin Named after William (Bill) Edward Thompson who arrived in Alice Springs in 1942 with the Allied Works Council and was trained in road works.

After the war he stayed on with the Department of Works as a supervisor of road gangs, travelling all over the Territory and working on the original first stages of the south road. He built his own home on Gap Road, where now stands the Ten Pin Bowling Centre.

In the 1940's and 50's he annually graded the Golf Links in his own time. He also volunteered at the first few Henly on Todd carnivals.

He was the first curator of Traeger Park and was responsible for much of the planting and ground work. For many years he was gate keeper at sunday football matches, both at Anzac Oval and Traeger Park.

He died in 1988, aged 82.

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
27/04/2011 Date added to the Register
04/05/2011 NTG18

The Northern Territory Gazetteer is maintained by the Place Names Section,
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics.
GPO Box 1680, Darwin NT 0801. Ph 08 8995 5333.
place.names@nt.gov.au

© Northern Territory of Australia
The Northern Territory of Australia does not warrant that the information in this extract or any part of it is correct or complete and will not be liable for any loss damage or injury suffered by any person as a result of its inaccuracy or incompleteness. You are encouraged to notify any error or omission in the material by calling the Place Names Section.