Place Names Register Extract

Delaney Street

Extract date: 29/06/2022

Name Delaney
Type Designation Street
Place Id 24284
Place Type Road
Status Registered
Date Registered 6 December 2011
Locality / Suburb  
  Muirhead
Local Government Area  
  Darwin City Council
History/Origin Named in commemoration of Patrick (Pat) Claude Delaney (1909 - 1978), who in 1938 founded Delaneys Store at the RAAF gates in Winnellie.

Patrick enlisted in the RAAF when WWII broke out as he wanted to be a pilot. He was selected to be a navigator and was posted to Beaufighter Squadron No 31 at Coomalie Creek. Patrick and his pilot had many missions to the islands in the north. After one raid, they ran out of fuel on their return to Darwin, crash landing the plane between Bagot Road overpass and Winnellie Post Office. They did not realise that this area of land was actually a minefield. They survived the landing and it was later found that the mines didn't explode due to white ant damage.

Patrick returned to Darwin after WWII to find Delaneys Store had been demolished during the raids. Pat rebuilt a Sydney Williams hut on the same site. Today, Delaneys Store is situated on Knuckey Street in Darwin.

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
06/12/2011 Date added to the Register.
14/12/2011 NTG50

The Northern Territory Gazetteer is maintained by the Place Names Section,
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics.
GPO Box 1680, Darwin NT 0801. Ph 08 8995 5333.
place.names@nt.gov.au

© Northern Territory of Australia
The Northern Territory of Australia does not warrant that the information in this extract or any part of it is correct or complete and will not be liable for any loss damage or injury suffered by any person as a result of its inaccuracy or incompleteness. You are encouraged to notify any error or omission in the material by calling the Place Names Section.