Place Names Register Extract
Extract date: 21/11/2019
||15 June 2017
|Locality / Suburb
|Local Government Area
||Alice Springs Town Council
||Stanley (Stan) Cawood came to the Northern Territory in 1927. He initially worked at Lake Nash Station and then moved to Alice Springs in 1928. In 1929 he was involved with the earliest search for the lost aviators, Hitchcock and Anderson, in the Tanami Desert. After World War II, Stan became involved in road haulage and tourism across Central Australia. He ran tours to Ayers Rock, Arltunga, Hermannsburg and Palm Valley. He played a major role in the early days of the tourism industry in the Centre. Stan was a founder and first chairman of the Central Australian Tours Association (the first industry organisation in the region).
Register & Gazettal information
||Date added to the Register - Certified Plan S2017/029
The Northern Territory Gazetteer is maintained by the Place Names Section,
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics.
GPO Box 1680, Darwin NT 0801. Ph 08 8995 5333.
© Northern Territory of Australia
The Northern Territory of Australia does not warrant that the information in this extract or any part of it
is correct or complete and will not be liable for any loss damage or injury suffered by any person as a
result of its inaccuracy or incompleteness. You are encouraged to notify any error or omission in the
material by calling the Place Names Section.