Place Names Register Extract
If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.Print Extract | Search Again
|Location (Datum GDA94)|
|Latitude: -17° 47' S (Decimal degrees -17.7844)|
|Longitude: 135° 39' E (Decimal degrees 135.6606)|
|View Map | View in NT Atlas | View in Google Earth|
|Locality / Suburb|
|Local Government Area|
|Barkly Shire Council|
|History/Origin||Walhallow was settled in 1881 by John Bassett and William Thomas Millett Christian, just three years after Ernest Favenc and Nat Buchanan's explorations of the Barkly Tableland in 1878.
For a number of years confusion has existed as to the correct spelling of the name and the origin of the name. It has been determined that the Christian's also owned a property near Quirindi, NSW, which was also named "Walhallow", having been established in 1828 as "Walalla Station" and became "Wallhalla (Walhollow)" in 1949.
JB Christine married a Miss L Skinner in 1866 and he acquired John Eales' properties of Walhollow East and West. In 1878, Christian's property is known as Walhallow Station.
It is therefore ascertained that the pastoral property name "Walhallow" in the NT, originates from the "Walhallow" property in NSW.
Register & Gazettal information