Larger text size icon Smaller text size icon

Place Names Register Extract

Holtze

If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.

Print Extract | Search Again

Name Holtze
Type Designation Locality
Place Id 2044
Place Type Administrative Area
Status Registered
Date Registered 29 October 1997
Location (Datum GDA94)  
Latitude: -12° 27' S (Decimal degrees -12.4554)
Longitude: 131° 00' E (Decimal degrees 131.0037)
View Map | View in NT Atlas | View in Google Earth
Locality / Suburb  
  (None Found)
Local Government Area  
  Litchfield Council
History/Origin This new locality to the north of Palmerston, including the Armys Robertson Barracks, commemorates
Maurice William Holtze who arrived in the Territory in 1878 as Government Gardener and set up the Experimental Gardens which later became Darwins Botanic Gardens. Holtze held land around from 1883 to 1917 and was engaged in an early agricultural enterprise at Jungle and Palm Creeks. This Jungle was known as Holtze Jungle, but in post war years the area was secured as a Forestry Reserve known as Holmes Jungle after Felix Holmes, a butcher, who in 1917 owned and raised cattle in the Jungle. The name of MW Holtzes son Valdemar (known as Wallaby Holtze) is perpetuated in a road on the south boundary of the locality.

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
29/10/1997 NTG43
29/07/2016 Alteration of Locality Boundary
10/08/2016 NTG G32 Alteration of Locality boundary notified in Gazette
Print Extract | Search Again