Larger text size icon Smaller text size icon

Place Names Register Extract

Beebe Road

If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.

View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again

Name Beebe
Type Designation Road
Place Id 23244
Place Type Road
Status Registered
Date Registered 28 March 2008
Locality / Suburb  
Local Government Area  
History/Origin Beebe Road is named in commemoration of James William (Mick) Beebe (1935-2004), Pastoralist. Mick Beebe's parents Paul and Florence Beebe drew Ucharonidge, east of Elliott, in a 1948 land ballot and, with their family moved onto the property in 1949.
In the early 1960s Mick and his brother Roy took control of Ucharonidge and continued to build the station into the very successful business it is today.

In 1974 Mick married Coral Milligan, a New Zealander, who came to Ucharonidge a year earlier as a companion-help. Mick and Carol raised four children, Mark (born 1975), Phillip (1977), Daniel (1980) and Paula (1983).

During the 1980s Mick and his brother Roy acquired properties and stock - Murranji, Buchanan, Kalala and Tanumbirini Stations, with Roy moving onto Kalala in 1985. However in the late 1980s, Roy became ill and the brothers divided their liabilities. Roy died in August 1990.
Mick and Carol Beebe continued to develop Ucharionidge Station and by the mid 1990s their sons were managing the property. Mick died from cancer in July 2004, aged 69 years, and was buried on Ucharonidge, not far from the homestead. Over 80 people from across the Territory attended his funeral, with Ucharonidge stockmen, on horseback, escorting Mick to his burial.

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
11/06/2008 NTG23
View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again