Larger text size icon Smaller text size icon

Place Names Register Extract

Andrews Street

If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.

View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again

Name Andrews
Type Designation Street
Place Id 23305
Place Type Road
Status Registered
Date Registered 17 April 2008
Locality / Suburb  
Local Government Area  
History/Origin In commemoration of William Wallace and Mary Jane (nee Foelsche) Andrews.
William, the son of Canon Andrews, was born in South Australia on 28 May, 1859 and became a civil engineer. He married Mary Jane Foelsche who was born in Strathalbyn, SA, in 1865, a daughter of Police Inspector Paul Foelsche and arrived in Darwin with her mother and sister in 1870.

William Andrews was placed in charge of the Palmerston to Pine Creek Railway on 16 April 1888 and was made the resident engineer in October 1889. He was moved to another railway position in 1892 and then in January 1893 was again placed in charge, as resident engineer, of the Palmerston to Pine Creek railway. He remained in the position until March 1907 when he was moved again. In August he again returned as resident engineer and remained in the position until September 1909. In total he appears to have worked in the northern part of the Territory for 20 years.

William Andrews died in Adelaide on 22 February 1924 and was survived by his widow Mary and two daughters, Dorothy and Rita. Mary Jane Andrew died at her home in Glenelg SA on 19 May 1932.

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
17/04/2008 Registered
23/04/2008 NTG 16
View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again