Larger text size icon Smaller text size icon

Place Names Register Extract

May Court

If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.

View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again

Name May
Type Designation Court
Place Id 24027
Place Type Road
Status Registered
Date Registered 21 December 2010
Locality / Suburb  
  Humpty Doo
Local Government Area  
  Litchfield Council
History/Origin Named after Arthur John May (known by all as John) (-2007). Registered as a Surveyor in Victoria in November 1959, after 4 years training. Worked in private practice around Victoria before moving to Darwin in 1973. Moved to Canberra after Tracy, but returned to Darwin with his family in 1976.

John carried out survey work through out the NT, from surveying the road between Uluru / Ayers Rock and The Olgas to supervising the building of the Royal Darwin Hospital and laying out new subdivisions in the Litchfield Shire.

John retired in 2004 after 50 years of surveying, and moved to Hervey Bay, Qld, where he died in April 2007.

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
21/12/2010 Date added to the Register
05/01/2011 NTG1
View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again