Larger text size icon Smaller text size icon

Place Names Register Extract

Eulalie Street

If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.

View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again

Name Eulalie
Type Designation Street
Place Id 24477
Place Type Road
Status Registered
Date Registered 21 May 2013
Locality / Suburb  
Local Government Area  
  Palmerston City Council
History/Origin Named after Sister Eulalie Ryan, a Daughter of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. After completing her nursing training, she was appointed to the leprosarium at Channel Island in January 1955. On 14 September of that year, Sister Eulalie, together with other members of nursing staff and one hundred and eighty patients moved to the new and modern settlement at East Arm. She remained at East Arm leprosarium until the end of 1961, moving south to gain her midwifery and other qualifications, before returning to East Arm in 1967. She remained until 1973. During this time she also took up the position of Leader of the Sisters in the NT and was based in Nightcliff but she was still in contact with staff and former patients of East Arm leprosarium. She also worked in a pastoral role on Bathurst Island for two years.

The theme, Top End Catholic Priests and Religious, was selected through consultation with Larrakia Development Corporation.

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
21/05/2013 Date added to the Register
29/05/2013 NTG G22
View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again