Larger text size icon Smaller text size icon

Place Names Register Extract

Lithgow Road

If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.

View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again

Name Lithgow
Type Designation Road
Place Id 6903
Place Type Road
Status Registered
Date Registered 13 April 1988
Locality / Suburb  
  Rum Jungle
Local Government Area  
  Coomalie Community Council
History/Origin Named after David Lithgow who built, owned and operated the first hotel in the Batchelor area in 1874. Lithgow arrived in Darwin from Adelaide, aboard the Gothenburg, in May 1874 and shortly afterward began building the Rum Jungle Hotel. The hotel was sited east of Lithgow Road on Rum Jungle Creek, and was built of rough timber with a stringybark roof. It was opened for business in December 1874 and served the travelling public from Darwin to the Pine Creek Goldfields. Following the construction of the Railway in 1889, the Hotel's trade was reduced dramatically. Lithgow spent two years at the Hotel before the licence was transferred to G.H. Ryland.

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
13/04/1988 NTG15
03/12/2008 NTG48 Northerly Extension
View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again