Metadata : Groundwater Dependent Development Potential - Mapping the Future Project, Northern Territory.
Name: AS/NZS ISO 19115 Geographic Information - Metadata, ANZLIC Metadata Profile
Date Metadata Extracted: 2021-09-20
Date Metadata Last Updated: 2021-05-26
Current URL (HTML format) : http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=html&metadata_id=9F5E2062C487505FE0530101007FCA99
Current URL (XML format) : http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=xml&metadata_id=9F5E2062C487505FE0530101007FCA99
ANZLIC Identifier: 9F5E2062C487505FE0530101007FCA99
Title: Groundwater Dependent Development Potential - Mapping the Future Project, Northern Territory.
Citation Date: 2020-07-17
Date Type: publication
Custodian: Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security
From 2018 to 2022, the Mapping the Future program will survey and map the natural resources capability in strategic locations across the Northern Territory. The project will support land planning, reduce investment decision risk and encourage the private sector to do business in the Territory.
Each Mapping the Future project area will be surveyed and mapped to describe general land capability, risk to biodiversity and groundwater resource risk. A separate technical report will be published for each natural resource survey. At the completion of each project, the spatial data will be compiled and a summary report with map products will also be published. The summarised information describes Development Potential and Groundwater Dependent Development Potential.
- Development Potential defines areas that are suitable for surface water or rain-fed development with data derived from a compilation of Risk to Biodiversity Classes and Land Capability Classes.
- Groundwater Dependent Development Potential defines areas derived from a compilation of Development Potential Classes and Groundwater Risk Classes.
3 classes are used to describe the Development Potential over the project area - Class 1. Good, Class 2. Moderate and Class 3. Not Recommended.
The data has not removed any protected areas from the classes. Eg Parks, Conservation Areas and Reserves.
Each project is compiled separately. Links to download reports, maps and spatial datasets are noted in the Development Opportunities website. https://depws.nt.gov.au/DevelopmentOpportunities
A Northern Territory summary compilation displaying Development Opportunities, can be viewed in NR Maps. - https://nrmaps.nt.gov.au/nrmaps.html
- North Bounding Coordinate: -10
- South Bounding Coordinate: -26
- East Bounding Coordinate: 138
- West Bounding Coordinate: 129
Character Set: Latin 1
Maintenance and Update Frequency: asNeeded
Data Currency Start Date: 2020-07-17
Data Currency End Date: 2021-05-25
Access Constraint: Each project is compiled separately. Links to download reports, maps and spatial datasets are noted in the Development Opportunities website. https://depws.nt.gov.au/DevelopmentOpportunities
You are licensed to use the geospatial products on the terms and conditions set out in: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (CC BY 4.0) at: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode
If you do not agree to the terms and conditions you must not use the geospatial products.
You are free to copy, communicate and adapt the licensed material, provided that you abide by the licence terms (including Attribution) and attribute the licensed material using the statement:
Supplied by the Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security. Copyright Northern Territory Government.
Lineage: Completed projects: (includes Development Potential, Groundwater Dependent Development Potential and Biophysical Assessment Classes)
- Development Potential in the Gunn Point Area, 2020
- Development Potential in the Wadeye Area, 2021
BIOPHYSICAL ASSESSMENT GROUPS
1. Risk to Biodiversity - assessment based on a range of vegetation and biodiversity datasets, site data and field work.
2. General land Capability - soil and land resource survey (usually at a finer scale) and field sites
3. Groundwater Risk - compilation of both groundwater and, where possible, water management information
4. Development Potential - suitable for surface water or rain-fed development with data derived from a compilation of Risk to Biodiversity Classes and Land Capability Classes
5. Groundwater Dependent Development Potential - data derived from a compilation of Development Potential Classes and Groundwater Risk Classes
Groundwater Dependent Development Potential Classes are derived from a compilation of 2 datasets - Development Potential Classes * and Risk to Groundwater Resource Classes.
Dev Pot Class 1 overlaps Groundwater Risk Class 1 or 2 = GW Dependent Dev Class 1
Dev Pot Class 1 overlaps GW Risk Class 3 = GW Dependent Dev Class 2
Dev Pot Class 2 overlaps GW Risk Class 1 or 2 = GW Dependent Dev Class 2
Dev Pot Class 2 overlaps GW Risk Class 3 = GW Dependent Dev Class 3
Dev Pot Class 3 or GW Risk Class 4 = GW Dependent Dev Class 3
* Development Potential Classes are derived from a compilation of General Land Capability Classes and Risk to Biodiversity Classes.
Positional Accuracy: The Land Capability Classes and the Risk to Biodiversity Classes are derived from a range of data sources and scale. Refer to associated reports for each project.
The data is stored using Geographics, datum GDA94.
Attribute Accuracy: The polygons are attributed according to the Data Dictionary in this metadata record.
The attribute naming format uses 10 characters with no spaces to be suitable for an ESRI shape-file format. An alias attribute name is applied to an ESRI file geo-database format.
Logical Consistency: The final polygon dataset was created by dissolving the combined Biophysical Assessment Classes using the Groundwater Dependent Development Potential Class.
Completeness: As projects are completed, notes will be added to the Lineage component of this metadata record.
Name Organisation Position Role Phone Fax Data Requests Officer Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security Geospatial Services Branch (on behalf of department) distributor email@example.com
Attribute Attribute Description Possible Code Code Description 01. Project Name of the Mapping the Future project area 02. GWDevClass Groundwater Dependent Development Potential Classes Class 0 Not Assessed Class 1 GOOD - Areas with the highest potential for development Class 2 MODERATE - Areas with some limitation to development Class 3 NOT RECOMMENDED - Areas with major constraints to development Class 9 Water 03. GWDevDesc1 Groundwater Dependent Development Potential Class - Description 1. 04. GWDevDesc2 Groundwater Dependent Development Potential Class - Description 2. 05. WMZ_name Water Management Zone name 06. WAP_sname Water Allocation Plan short name 07. WM_Status Water Management Plan Status Declared Plan declared and published in the Northern Territory Government Gazette Draft Plan completed but not declared, ready for public comments In progress Plan in development and/or in WAP Committee review, not for public comments Lapsed Plan with outdated declared period of more than 10 years 08. WaterAvail Groundwater Availability
If the area does not have a Water Management Plan, contact the land owner.
09. Area_km2 All polygons have been dissolved on the Class and Water Management Zone.
The area is a total of each Class.
For more information about the Mapping the Future project, view: https://depws.nt.gov.au/DevelopmentOpportunities
Each project area contains a list of links to download technical reports, map products and spatial data.
View NR Maps to see the data displayed. https://nrmaps.nt.gov.au/nrmaps.html Folder: Development Opportunities; Layer: Index Project Areas.
Associated metadata records
- Development Potential http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=html&metadata_id=9F5E2062C486505FE0530101007FCA99
- Biophysical Assessment Classes http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=html&metadata_id=A503BCD027FC3E42E0530101007F8840
This record maintained using the NTLIS Metadata Tool