Metadata : Potential Land for Long-term Sustainable Food Production
Name:AS/NZS ISO 19115 Geographic Information - Metadata, ANZLIC Metadata Profile
Date Metadata Extracted:2023-06-10
Date Metadata Last Updated:2016-08-30
Current URL (HTML format) : http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=html&metadata_id=CE812E23F9E1BE0EE040CD9B21443A13
Current URL (XML format) : http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=xml&metadata_id=CE812E23F9E1BE0EE040CD9B21443A13
Title:Potential Land for Long-term Sustainable Food Production
Custodian:Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security
Potential Land for Long-term Sustainable Food Production. Soil and Water Suitability Assessment, 2nd Edition. Oct, 2014.
This 2014 report and spatial data supercedes the previous report:
- Identification of Potential Land for Long-term Sustainable Food Production. Stage 1: Identification of Soil and Water Resources. Sept, 2011
The study integrates existing broad scale soil, landform and water resource mapping with climate conditions such as rainfall as well as agronomic requirements. The investigation has identified soil and land resources across the Northern Territory that may be investigated further for potential development.
The data used for this analysis is broad scale and intended for Northern Territory wide and regional assessments and is not appropriate for detailed planning.
The report contains a series of 20 maps. The METHODOLOGY of the analysis is depicted in Maps 1 - 9 (and Appendix A) and the RESULTS are depicted in Maps 10 - 19. The associated spatial data is stored in an ESRI file geodatabase format. The spatial data must be viewed in conjunction with the report. Refer to Supplementary Information in this metadata record.
- North Bounding Coordinate:-10.9
- South Bounding Coordinate:-26
- East Bounding Coordinate:138
- West Bounding Coordinate:129
Character Set: Latin 1
Maintenance and Update Frequency:notPlanned
Data Currency Start Date:2011-09-01
Data Currency End Date:2014-10-15
Download the spatial data package (contains spatial data, maps and reports) via data.nt.gov.au/
You are licensed to use the DENR geospatial products on the terms and conditions set out in: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (CC BY 4.0) at: creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode
If you do not agree to the terms and conditions you must not use the geospatial products.
You are free to copy, communicate and adapt the licensed material, provided that you abide by the licence terms (including Attribution) and attribute the licensed material using the statement:
Supplied by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. Copyright Northern Territory Government.
Lineage:Please also refer to the metadata for each of the existing spatial datasets used in this analysis.
- Northern Land Systems (Scale 1:250,000). Metadata - www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=html&metadata_id=8E85C28F9C9285EBE040CD9B21447F57
- Southern Land Systems (Scale 1:1M) Metadata - www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=html&metadata_id=A80055845E20EFA5E040CD9B21441034
- Northern Territory Groundwater Aquifers (Scale 1:2M) Metadata - www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=html&metadata_id=535D1EECEB0F528AE040CD9B21446C20
- Bore data (sourced from the Hydstra database) Metadata - www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/metadata/export_data?type=html&metadata_id=2DBCB7711FC106B6E040CD9B0F274EFE
- Climate Average Data. Metadata - www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/climatology/gridded-data-info/metadata/md_ave_rain_percentiles.shtml
The spatial data is compiled into groups: Methodology (to create Maps 1 - 9) and Results (to create Maps 10 - 19)
Each data group is stored in an ESRI File Geodatabase with text descriptions for all spatial data compiled using ArcCatalog.
An accompanying ESRI layer file was also developed for each map product created using ArcMap.
Users should review TABLE 1 in the report to understand the various criteria used to create the datasets.
Positional Accuracy:Please refer to the metadata for each of the spatial datasets used in this analysis.
Attribute Accuracy:Please refer to the metadata for each of the spatial datasets used in this analysis.
Refer to Report Table 1 for details of crop requirements and sources of data following consultation with agronomists and soil landscape scientists.
Additional attributes values used for further classification and map display purposes.
- images reclassified using 1 for Suitable and 0 for Unsuitable
- Groundwater Aquifers reclassified for Irrigation Potential; Field IRRIG_POT = Broad Scale Irrigation; Small Scale Irrigation; Limited or Localised Irrigation; Nil Possibility
- Land System allocated a soils suitability rating; Field SUM_PROPOR = (Soils category) pecentage value; Field SOILS_CAT = 1-20%; 21-40%; 41-60%; 61-80%; 81-100%; also allocated Landscape suitability (see report chapter 3.4)
- Southern Land Systems allocated a Horticulture Rating 1-10; where 1 is least likely to have horticultural soils (ie mostly steep and rugged landforms or dunefields); and 10 is most likely to have horticultural soils (ie level to gently undulating landforms with adequate soil depth for agriculture).
Logical Consistency:Please refer to the metadata for each of the spatial datasets used in this analysis.
Completeness:Complete as at October 2014.
Note: Information used in this study may have since been updated or modified.
Name Organisation Position Role Phone Fax Data Requests Officer Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security Geospatial Services Branch (on behalf of department) distributor email@example.com
No data dictionary defined for this dataset
Department spatial data id reference: Land (Other) NT_LandSuit
Pascoe-Bell A., Lynch B., Hill J., Green C., Tickell S.J. (DLRM) and Cameron A., Smith S. (DPIF) 2014
Potential Land for Long-term Sustainable Food Production. Soil and Water Suitability Assessment, 2nd Edition. October 2014
Department of Land Resource Management. Palmerston, Northern Territory
The 2014 report may be downloaded from the Northern Territory Library via hdl.handle.net/10070/238939
Pascoe-Bell A., Lynch B., Hill J., Green C., (DNRETAS) Cameron A. and Smith S. (DoR) Sept 2011
Identification of Potential Land for Long-term Sustainable Food Production. Stage 1: Identification of Soil and Water Resources.
Natural Resources Division, Department of Natural Resources, Environment, The Arts and Sport Palmerston, Northern Territory
The 2011 report may be downloaded from the Northern Territory Library via hdl.handle.net/10070/242197
This record maintained using the NTLIS Metadata Tool