Larger text size icon Smaller text size icon

Place Names Register Extract

Dargie Road

If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.

View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again

Name Dargie
Type Designation Road
Place Id 24026
Place Type Road
Status Registered
Date Registered 21 December 2010
Locality / Suburb  
  Humpty Doo
Local Government Area  
  Litchfield Council
History/Origin Named after Charles (1864-1929) and Emily (nee Bantz) (1874-1955) Dargie, early and prominent farmers in the Daly River area.

Charles and Emily came to Darwin from Melbourne on 30 May 1913 on the "Changsha" landing at Fort Hill Wharf where they stayed in a tent until the boat "The Loan Hand" came to take them to the Daly River. With them were their three children Charles jnr (b1902) Thalma (b1906) and Melba (b1912). Charles had been an engineer in Melbourne making locks for the old railway carriages. Charles & Emily were among the first settlers at the Daly River answering a Government advertisement for settlers for farming in this area. They farmed corn and millet with which they made millet brooms for sale. Emily also made butter and sold it to other farmers around the Daly River. Charles and Emily had four more children in Darwin Alexander, Lucy, Wallace Wilfred and Jean. Charles Dargie died 22/07/1929 and is buried at Gardens Hill Cemetery with Emily who died in 1955

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
21/12/2010 Date added to the Register
05/01/2011 NTG1
View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again