Larger text size icon Smaller text size icon

Place Names Register Extract

Frayne Court

If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.

View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again

Name Frayne
Type Designation Court
Place Id 24611
Place Type Road
Status Registered
Date Registered 4 June 2014
Locality / Suburb  
Local Government Area  
  Palmerston City Council
History/Origin Named after John Frayne who came to the Northern Territory, lodging plans of the Roper Bar Hotel in 1888. He was later at Pine Creek, holding a slaughtering licence and was involved with the Katherine Turf Club, holding a number of horses in 1892. When William Scott, the Manager of Willeroo, was speared in 1892, John went out with others searching for the culprits. John worked for the Duracks in the 1890s and later owned Kunja Creek and Commanderoo Springs in 1910. He died of fever at Horse Creek on 31 May 1912, aged 48 years.

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
04/06/2014 Date added to the Register
11/06/2014 NTG G23
View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again