Larger text size icon Smaller text size icon

Place Names Register Extract

Cawood Street

If you know of any information about this place name which does not appear in this extract, please let the Place Names Committee know by completing a submission form.

View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again

Name Cawood
Type Designation Street
Place Id 24791
Place Type Road
Status Registered
Date Registered 15 June 2017
Locality / Suburb  
Local Government Area  
  Alice Springs Town Council
History/Origin Stanley (Stan) Cawood came to the Northern Territory in 1927. He initially worked at Lake Nash Station and then moved to Alice Springs in 1928. In 1929 he was involved with the earliest search for the lost aviators, Hitchcock and Anderson, in the Tanami Desert. After World War II, Stan became involved in road haulage and tourism across Central Australia. He ran tours to Ayers Rock, Arltunga, Hermannsburg and Palm Valley. He played a major role in the early days of the tourism industry in the Centre. Stan was a founder and first chairman of the Central Australian Tours Association (the first industry organisation in the region).

Register & Gazettal information

Date Gazettal Comment
15/06/2017 Date added to the Register - Certified Plan S2017/029
View in NT Atlas | Print Extract | Search Again